Sunday, January 29, 2012

Spinach & Ricotta Pasties




This weeks Short and Tweet challenge included the recipe for Spinach and Ricotta pasties and I was initially uninspired as I am not a great fan of pastry but yeah these are made with an enrichened yeast dough rather than buttery pastry so suddenly I felt compelled to make them.

Once baking they fill the kitchen with the aromas of savoury yeasty goodness so are well worth it for that alone, but they also produce a jolly good, if not conventional pastie.

I would get no prizes for my crimping but I did at least try to make it look like west country crimping.

These make a perfect Sunday early evening supper, and as the recipe makes four there will be spares each for lunch tomorrow, marvelous.

Dan Lepard posted the recipe as part of his 2008 series: How to bake: Spinach and Ricotta Pasties do give them a whirl.

3 comments:

  1. I think your crimping is very good, much better than my forking ;) It was a lovely thin & crisp pastry - so not a heavy pastie at all. Good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carl, thanks for the compliments on the crimping. This recipe really does make a great pastie with a light thin crust, I think I will be using it a lot. The cold pastie I had for lunch today was also excellent. Love the fact that you made your own cheese as well as all the other home grown elements, my only homestead contribution was my own eggs and dried oregano.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, admire the crimping. I signed up up to a notional 'unfussy pastry appreciation club' as I, too, think this is one of the most straightforward pastries I've come across.

    For the record, you two, I bought all of my ingredients - you can't one-down me on this :) You with your fancy eggs, whey cheese, home-dried herbs etc.

    I've borrowed a photograph for the #shortandtweet 13 compilation.

    ReplyDelete